The main feature of the NGFB Open Graph+ plugin for WordPress is to add Open Graph and Twitter Card meta tags (among others) to the head section of webpages, but it also offers social buttons for sharing webpages. The social buttons can be added to the content, as shortcodes, widgets, etc. In version 6.9, a new filter was added for the URL shared by each social button. A “source ID” is passed to the filter along with the URL, to identify the social button needing the URL, and its location (content, shortcode, widget, etc.).
The multi-website licensing for NGFB Open Graph+ Pro is complete. Now that it’s done, I can focus on the next release of NGFB Open Graph+ again. Support for WP e-Commerce products is almost finished — I just need to add the custom fields for Twitter Cards. I’ll be busy for the next few days, so NGFB Open Graph+ v6.10 will probably be available sometime next week.
We lost power a half ago ago, and the UPS has maybe another half hour of battery before I’ll have to start shutting down servers. There are several advantages to hosting your own servers, but power outages are one *big* disadvantage. ;-)
I’ve started coding support for WooCommerce product pages in NGFB Open Graph+ Pro v6.6. I’m almost done with the Open Graph meta tags. Next will be the Twitter Cards, and then probably Pinterest meta tags as well.
Recently a client asked me to setup multiple instances of MongoDB on a Linux Ubuntu server. Ubuntu does not use standard /etc/init.d/ scripts, instead it uses upstart, an event-based replacement for the /sbin/init daemon, that handles starting of tasks and services during boot, stopping them during shutdown and supervising them while the system is running. Upstart uses it’s own limited syntax to describe a service or task. I tried launching several processes from a single upstart config, but upstart could not track the service properly. Instead, I broke-up the upstart script into two — one master to define the instances, and another to start each one independently.
This had been on my TODO list for a while now… Although the NGFB object cache is just a few minutes (usually somewhere between 60 and 180 seconds, depending on the version), waiting those few minutes after updating a Post/Page to share it (so the Open Graph meta tags would reflect the modified info) was starting to annoy me. ;-) So I finally got around to coding a flush method to remove object cache entries for the specific Post/Page being updated. I also coded a little info message to let you know the cache was flushed, which turned out to be tricker than expected since WordPress does a redirect after a Post/Page update (so the usual admin notice technique doesn’t work in that case).