WordPress Social Sharing Optimization (WPSSO) provides the information that social websites need to improve Google Search ranking and social engagement on Facebook, Google+, Twitter, LinkedIn, Pinterest, StumbleUpon, Tumblr and many more. An essential plugin for every WordPress website!
Quick List of Features
Free / Basic Version
- Adds Open Graph / Rich Pin meta tags (Facebook, Google+, LinkedIn, Pinterest, etc.).
- Configurable image sizes, title and description lengths for different contexts.
- Optional fallback to a default image and video for index and search webpages.
- Supports featured, attached, gallery shortcode, and/or HTML image tags in content.
- Validates image dimensions to provide accurate media for social websites.
- Auto-regeneration of inaccurate / missing WordPress image sizes.
- Support for embedded videos (iframe and object HTML tags).
- Fully renders content (including shortcodes) for accurate description texts.
- Includes author and publisher profile URLs for Facebook and Google Search.
- Includes hashtags from Post / Page WordPress Tags.
- Includes the author's name for Pinterest Rich Pins.
- Uses object and transient caches to provide incredibly fast execution speeds.
- Includes a Google / SEO description meta tag if a known SEO plugin is not detected.
- Provides Facebook, Google+ and Twitter URL profile contact fields.
- Validation tools and special meta tag preview tabs on admin edit pages.
- Customizable multilingual Site Title and (default) Description texts.
Pro / Power-User Version
- Twitter Card meta tags (Summary, Large Image, Photo, Gallery, Player, and Product).
- Customizable image dimensions for each Twitter Card type.
- Additional profile contact fields with configurable label and field names.
- Custom settings and meta tag values for each Post, Page, and custom post type.
- Options to exclude specific Google / SEO, Open Graph, and Twitter Card meta tags.
- Integrates with 3rd party plugins and services for additional image, video, product, and content information:
- All in One SEO Pack
- JetPack Photon
- NextGEN Gallery
- MarketPress - WordPress eCommerce
- WordPress SEO by Yoast
- WP e-Commerce
- Service APIs
- Slideshare Presentations
- Vimeo Videos
- Wistia Videos
- Youtube Videos and Playlists
Complete Meta Tags
WPSSO adds Facebook / Open Graph, Pinterest Rich Pins, Twitter Cards, and Search Engine Optimization meta tags to the head section of webpages. These meta tags are used by Google Search and most social websites to describe and display your content correctly (title, description, hashtags, images, videos, product, author profile / authorship, publisher, etc.).
- Google / SEO Link and Meta Tags
- Open Graph Meta Tags
- Schema Meta Tags
- Twitter Card Meta Tags (Pro version)
- twitter:card (Summary, Large Image Summary, Photo, Gallery, Player and Product)
3rd Party Integration
Aside from the additional support for Twitter Cards, the main difference between the Free and Pro versions is the integration of 3rd party plugins and services.
Images and Videos
WPSSO detects and uses all images - associated or included in your Post or Page content - including WordPress Media Library image galleries and embedded videos from Slideshare, Vimeo, Wistia, and Youtube (including their preview images). WordPress Media Library images (and NextGEN Gallery in the Pro version) are resized according to their intended audience (Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, etc).
WPSSO (Pro version) also supports WooCommerce v1 and v2, MarketPress - WordPress eCommerce and WP e-Commerce product pages, creating appropriate meta tags for Facebook Products, Twitter Product Cards and Pinterest Rich Pins, including variations and additional / custom images.
Forums and Social
WPSSO (Pro version) supports bbPress and BuddyPress (see the BuddyPress Integration Notes), making sure your meta tags reflect the page content, including appropriate titles, descriptions, images, etc.
WPSSO (Pro version) allows you to customize the field names, label, and show / remove the following Contact Methods from the user profile page:
- Jabber / Google Talk
- Yahoo IM
WPSSO is fast and coded for performance, making full use of all available caching techniques (persistent / non-persistent object and disk caching). WPSSO loads only the library files and object classes it needs, keeping it small, fast, and yet still able to support a wide range of 3rd party integration features.
- 0.0105 secs - WordPress Social Sharing Optimization (WPSSO) v2.4.4
- 0.0117 secs - All in One SEO Pack v2.1.4
- 0.0130 secs - MarketPress - WordPress eCommerce v18.104.22.168 (No Products)
- 0.0175 secs - NextGEN Facebook (NGFB) v7.4.4
- 0.0189 secs - Contact Form 7 v3.7.2
- 0.0322 secs - WP e-Commerce v22.214.171.124 (No Products)
- 0.0393 secs - bbPress v2.5.3 (No Forums or Topics)
- 0.0405 secs - WooCommerce v2.1.5 (No Products)
- 0.0572 secs - SEO Ultimate v7.6.2
- 0.0579 secs - Facebook v1.5.5
- 0.0656 secs - BuddyPress v1.9.2 (No Activities)
- 0.1051 secs - WordPress SEO by Yoast v126.96.36.199
- 0.1980 secs - JetPack by WordPress.com v2.9.2
Tests executed on a VPS with SSDs and 6GB ram, APC opcode/object cache, WordPress v3.8.1, P3 v1.4.1 configured with opcode optimization enabled (improves accuracy).
Try the WPSSO plugin with complete confidence — when uninstalled, WPSSO removes all traces of itself from the database (options, site options, user and post meta, transients, etc.).
WPSSO support and development is on-going. You can review the FAQ and Notes pages for additional setup information. If you have any suggestions or comments, post them to the WordPress support forum or the Pro version support website.