Make sure social websites present your content in the best possible way, no matter how your webpage is shared — from sharing buttons on the webpage, browser add-ons and extensions, or URLs shared directly in social timeline posts and private messages.
Advanced Social Management
WordPress Social Sharing Optimization (WPSSO) gives you total control over the information social website crawlers need, improving Google Search ranking, social engagement, and click-through-rates on Facebook, Google+, Twitter, Pinterest, LinkedIn, StumbleUpon, Tumblr and and many more — no sharing buttons required!
Extend or replace your current SEO solution — Google Search reads social meta tags and Knowledge Graph markup, so many users are choosing to extend or even replace their current SEO solution with WPSSO.
Already have social sharing buttons? No problem! Sharing buttons only submit URLs to social websites — WPSSO includes all the information those social website crawlers need to properly share and display your content. Use WPSSO by itself or in combination with any of your favorite social sharing buttons.
"If you want to make every tweet, like, share, pin, and +1 count, then you should definitely start using WPSSO on your WordPress site." — indexwp.com
"I’m now a customer. This plugin is invaluable and a real time saver. The fact that it won’t slow my site down either is something that also sold me on it." — wpkube.com
"Wherever you are at with the social media marketing strategy for your site, the WP Social Sharing Optimization plugin can help you get better results." — wplift.com
"If you want to get the most out of the social shares your content receives, ensure your content stands out when it is posted on the various social networks, and listed in the search engines, then this plugin is a great choice that covers all the bases." — wpmayor.com
"WPSSO Pro provides a handy tool for your marketing team, and improves your content whenever it’s shared by you or your fans. The free version has a lot of great features and makes a good trial version, but I think that eCommerce sites really benefit from the eCommerce plugin and video integrations (as well as the inclusion of Twitter card support) that the Pro version offers." — sellwithwp.com
Quick List of Features
Free / Basic Version
- Adds Open Graph / Rich Pin meta tags (Facebook, Google+, Pinterest, LinkedIn, etc.).
- Configurable image sizes for Open Graph (Facebook, LinkedIn, etc.) and Pinterest.
- Optional fallback to a default image and video for index and search webpages.
- Supports featured, attached, gallery shortcode, and/or HTML image tags in content.
- Fallback to the image alt value if the content and except do not include any text.
- Validates image dimensions to provide accurate media for social websites.
- Auto-regeneration of inaccurate / missing WordPress image sizes.
- Fully renders content (including shortcodes) for accurate description texts.
- Configurable title separator character (hyphen by default).
- Support of WordPress and/or SEO titles for Posts and Pages.
- Includes author and publisher profile URLs for Facebook and Google Search.
- Includes hashtags from Post and Page WordPress tags.
- Includes the author's name for Pinterest Rich Pins.
- Includes a Google / SEO description meta tag if a known SEO plugin is not detected.
- Includes author (Person) and publisher (Organization) social profiles markup in schema.org JSON-LD format for Google Search and their Knowledge Graph.
- Provides Facebook, Google+ and Twitter URL user profile contact fields.
- Validation tools and special meta tag preview tabs on admin edit pages.
- Customizable multilingual Site Title and Site Description texts.
- Contextual help for every plugin option and comprehensive online documentation.
- Uses object and transient caches to provide incredibly fast execution speeds.
- Additional free extension plugins for WPSSO:
Pro / Power-User Version
- No Risk 30 Day Refund Policy
- Twitter Card meta tags:
- Product Card — Product information from an e-commerce plugin.
- Player Card — An embedded video in the Post / Page content.
- Gallery Card — A Media Library gallery or NextGEN Gallery shortcode.
- Photo Card — An Attachment page or NextGEN Gallery ImageBrowser webpage.
- Large Image Summary Card — An image from the custom Social Settings, Featured, Attached, or NextGEN Gallery singlepic.
- App Card — Apple Store iPhone / iPad or Google Play App (requires the WPSSO App Meta extension).
- Summary Card — All other webpages.
- Customizable image dimensions for each Twitter Card type.
- Configurable title and description lengths for different contexts (Open Graph, Twitter Card, SEO).
- Additional profile contact fields with configurable label and field names.
- Custom settings and meta tag values for each Post, Page, and custom post type.
- Options to exclude specific Google / SEO, Open Graph, and Twitter Card meta tags.
- Support for embedded videos in iframe and object HTML tags.
- Integrates with 3rd party plugins and services for additional image, video, product, and content information (see About Pro Modules and Integration Notes for details). The following modules are included with the Pro version, and are automatically loaded if/when the supported plugins and/or services are detected.
- All in One SEO Pack
- Easy Digital Downloads
- HeadSpace2 SEO
- JetPack Photon
- NextGEN Gallery
- MarketPress - WordPress eCommerce
- WordPress SEO by Yoast
- WP e-Commerce
- Service APIs
- Gravatar Images
- Slideshare Presentations
- Vimeo Videos
- Wistia Videos
- YouTube Videos and Playlists
3rd Party Integration
Aside from the additional support for Twitter Cards, the main difference between the WPSSO Free and Pro versions is the integration of 3rd party plugins and services.
Images and Videos
WPSSO detects and uses all images - associated or included in your Post or Page content - including WordPress image galleries. WordPress Media Library images (and NextGEN Gallery in the Pro version) are resized according to their intended audience (Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, etc). The Pro version also detects embedded videos from Slideshare, Vimeo, Wistia, and Youtube (including their preview images).
WPSSO (Pro version) integrates with WordPress SEO by Yoast, All in One SEO Pack, and HeadSpace2 SEO — making sure your custom SEO settings are reflected in the Open Graph, Rich Pin, and Twitter Card meta tags.
Read about the differences between the WordPress SEO by Yoast and WPSSO plugins for social sharing.
WPSSO (Pro version) also supports Easy Digital Downloads, MarketPress - WordPress eCommerce, WooCommerce v1 and v2, and WP e-Commerce product pages, creating appropriate meta tags for Facebook Products, Twitter Product Cards and Pinterest Rich Pins, including variations and additional / custom images.
Forums and Social
WPSSO (Pro version) supports bbPress and BuddyPress (see the BuddyPress Integration Notes), making sure your meta tags reflect the page content, including appropriate titles, descriptions, images, etc.
User Profile Social Contacts
WPSSO (Pro version) allows you to customize the field names, label, and add / remove the following contacts from the user profile page:
- Facebook URL
- Google+ URL
- Jabber / Google Talk
- LinkedIn URL
- Pinterest URL
- Skype Username
- Tumblr URL
- Twitter @username
- Yahoo IM
- YouTube Channel URL
Social Profiles for Google Search
WPSSO provides author (Person) and publisher (Organization) social profiles markup in schema.org JSON-LD format for Google Search and their Knowledge Graph. The author (Person) markup includes the author's website URL, their profile social sharing image, and all listed contact URLs from their user profile. The publisher (Organization) markup includes the website URL, a corporate logo, a default image, and the publisher Facebook, Google+, LinkedIn, Pinterest, and Twitter business pages.
Complete Social Meta Tags
WPSSO adds Facebook / Open Graph, Pinterest Rich Pins, Twitter Cards, and Search Engine Optimization meta tags to the head section of webpages. These meta tags are used by Google Search and most social websites to describe and display your content correctly (title, description, hashtags, images, videos, product, author profile / authorship, publisher, etc.). WPSSO uses the existing content of your webpages to build HTML meta tags — There's no need to manually enter / configure any additional values or settings (although many settings and options are available). See examples from Google Search, Google+, Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, StumbleUpon, Tumblr, etc. — along with screenshots of the WPSSO settings pages.
- Google / SEO Link and Meta Tags
- Facebook Meta Tags
- Open Graph / Rich Pin Meta Tags
- Schema Meta Tags
- Twitter Card Meta Tags (Pro version)
- twitter:card (Summary, Large Image Summary, Photo, Gallery, Player and Product)
WPSSO is fast and coded for performance, making full use of all available caching techniques (persistent / non-persistent object and disk caching). WPSSO loads only the library files and object classes it needs, keeping it small, fast, and yet still able to support a wide range of 3rd party integration features.
Try the WPSSO plugin with complete confidence — when uninstalled, WPSSO removes all traces of itself from the database (options, site options, user and post meta, transients, etc.).
WPSSO support and development is on-going. You can review the FAQ and Notes pages for additional setup information. If you have any suggestions or comments, post them to the WordPress support forum or the Pro version support website.
We do not require WordPress admin access to support the plugin — All support is provided from the front-end using HTML debugging information within the webpage (see the Add Hidden Debug Messages option on the SSO Advanced settings page).
Install and Uninstall
- Developer Special – Buy one, Get one Free
- How-To Migrate from NGFB to WPSSO
- Install the Plugin
- Integration Notes
- Debugging and Problem Solving
- Uninstall the Plugin
WPSSO General Settings Page — Includes options for Open Graph (All Publishers) site information, titles, descriptions, images, videos, and authors. There is also a Publisher Specific section for Facebook, Google (G+ and Search), LinkedIn, Pinterest Rich Pins, and Twitter Cards.
WPSSO Advanced Settings Page — Allows you to fine-tune some advanced plugin settings, the use of various content filters, custom post meta fields, caching techniques, user profile contacts, and enable / disable a long list of meta tags.
WPSSO Social Settings on Posts and Pages — The social settings metabox allows you to modify the default title, description, and image values, preview an example social share, preview all meta tags, and validate the current webpage with various online tools.
Example Facebook Link Share
Example Facebook Video Share
Example Google+ Link Share
Example Google+ Video Share
Example Google Search Result showing Author Profile Info
Example LinkedIn Share
Example Pinterest Image Pin
Example Pinterest Product Pin
Example Pinterest Product Pin (Zoomed)
Example StumbleUpon Share
Example Tumblr 'Link' Share
Example Tumblr 'Photo' Share
Example Tumblr 'Video' Share
Example Twitter 'Summary' Card
Example Twitter 'Large Image Summary' Card
Example Twitter 'Photo' Card
Example Twitter 'Gallery' Card
Example Twitter 'Product' Card
Example Twitter 'Player' Card
Example Social Profiles in Google Search — WPSSO includes author (Person) and publisher (Organization) social profiles markup in schema.org JSON-LD format for Google Search and their Knowledge Graph.
New versions of the plugin are released approximately every week (more or less). New features are added, tested, and released incrementally, instead of grouping them together in a major version release. When minor bugs fixes and/or code improvements are applied, new versions are also released. This release schedule keeps the code stable and reliable, at the cost of more frequent updates.
- GitHub: https://github.com/SurniaUlula/wpsso
- WordPress.org: https://wordpress.org/plugins/wpsso/developers/
Version 2.8.5 (2015/03/26)
- Added a check for
$_SERVER['HTTP_USER_AGENT']before using its value in the SucomUtil::crawler_name() method.
- Added a check for
- The 'Add Hidden Debug Messages' option now disables only the transient cache, instead of both the transient and WP object caches.
SucomDebug::mark()method now adds the microtime to its debug log entries.
- Slight performance improvement by checking status of debug system before calling its logging methods (avoiding unnecessary method calls).
- Removed the
- Added a new
SucomUtil::active_plugins()method to fetch and cache the active plugins list.
- Added a check to remove a WordPress SEO false conflict warning.
- Added default values for the WPSSO_OPTIONS_NAME_ALT, WPSSO_SITE_OPTIONS_NAME_ALT, WPSSO_META_NAME_ALT, and WPSSO_PREF_NAME_ALT constants.
- Changed the default Twitter Card image sizes from 200x200 cropped to 300x300 cropped for the Summary Card, and from 300x300 un-cropped to 800x800 un-cropped for the Large Image Summary Card.
- New Features
Version 2.8.4 (2015/03/22)
- Added support for low/high resolution banners in the Plugin Details thickbox window.
- Added an extra check to require an object / post ID in the WooCommerce module (Pro version).
- Refactored the WooCommerce module for custom taxonomies (Pro version)
- New Features
Version 126.96.36.199 (2015/03/17)
- Fixed the user contact field sanitation check by using the defined field names.
- Updated the SucomUtil::limit_text_length() method to use the mb_strlen() and mb_substr() multibyte functions.
- Added a check for WPSEO_Frontend::get_instance() before using it, and if missing, fallback to global $wpseo_front.
- Removed a check for the 'mb_decode_numericentity' function (replaced by a minimum PHP version check instead).
- New Features
- Updated the "Google Structured Data Testing Tool" URL.
- Changed to WPSEO_Frontend::get_instance() instead of using the $wpseo_front global (Pro version).
- Integrated the WordPress SEO and WooCommerce modules to use the WordPress SEO meta description for the shop page (Pro version).
- Added a filter for the WooCommerce module to report the post ID of the shop page (Pro version).
- Added a GitHub repository for WPSSO at https://github.com/SurniaUlula/wpsso.
- New Features
- Fixed the Social Settings jQuery / CSS input counters that were not showing.
- Renamed all metabox tab CSS ids to allow better parsing of metabox and tab names.
- Replaced the "Show Basic / All Options" setting to one which is individual to each user's preference.
- Renamed the jquery-postmeta.min.js script file to jquery-metabox.min.js and refactored code.
- New Features
- Added a new Wpsso::get_instance() method to return the Wpsso class object reference.
- Added a new WpssoUser::show_opts() method to return and/or text the users preference for displaying options.
- Added a new WpssoUser::save_pref() and WpssoUser::get_pref() method to manage user preferences.
- Added a new WPSSO_PREF_NAME constant (default value is "_wpsso_pref") to save user preferences.
- Slight performance improvement by disabled the loading of meta tags for media upload pages.
- New Features
- Slight performance improvement by preventing default settings from being read (unless necessary) when defining the plugin image sizes.
- Moved the "Display Basic Options" and "Display All Options" links to a single button at the bottom of WPSSO settings pages.
- New Features
- Fixed Rich Pin Image Dimensions setting in Free version by inheriting the Open Graph values.
- Added a
WpssoUser::get_user_id_contact_methods()static method to provide
wp_get_user_contact_methods()for older WordPress versions.
- Added a 'View Plugin Details' link on the Pro Licenses settings page and updated its layout.
- New Features
- Added a new 'wpsso_init_objects' action for WPSSO extension plugins.
- New Features
- Added a new WPSSO_META_CACHE_PRIORITY contant with a default value of 9.
- Changed the WPSSO_META_SAVE_PRIORITY constant default value from 20 to 6.
- Changed the update post cache maintenance hook priority from 100 to 9 (using the new WPSSO_META_CACHE_PRIORITY contant).
- Moved the update user profile cache maintenance to an action hook (uses the WPSSO_META_CACHE_PRIORITY contant as well).
- Added support for Quick Cache in the "Clear All Cache" feature.
- Renamed the 'og_publisher_url' settings option to 'fb_publisher_url'.
- Renamed the 'link_publisher_url' settings option to 'seo_publisher_url'.
- Moved the Open Graph "Article Publisher Page URL" option down to the Facebook publisher settings.
- New Features
- Added a "Publisher Business Page URL" option to the Pinterest publisher settings tab (Pro version).
- Added a LinkedIn tab to the publisher settings with a new "Publisher Company Page URL" option (Pro version).
- Moved all schema related code (meta tags, json scripts, doctype itemscope) from WpssoHead to a new WpssoSchema class.
- Added the "Schema Website / Business Logo URL", "Add Schema Publisher Social JSON", and "Add Schema Author Social JSON" options under to the Google (G+ and Search) publisher settings tab (Pro version).
- Added author (Person) and publisher (Organization) social profiles markup in schema.org JSON-LD format for Google Search and their Knowledge Graph.
- Renamed the
get_form_reference()(update to WPSSO SSB v1.1.7 required).
- Renamed the
- New Features
- Added a check for the og:image meta tag, and if missing, issue a warning (Facebook requires at least one og:image meta tag).
- Added a check for a minimum image dimension of 200x200px (the minimum allowed by Facebook) for Open Graph meta tags.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Can I use the Pro version on multiple websites?
- Does LinkedIn read the Open Graph meta tags?
- Doesn’t an SEO plugin cover that?
- How can I exclude / ignore certain parts of the content text?
- How can I fix a ERR_TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS error?
- How can I fix an “HTTP error” when uploading images?
- How can I have smaller dimensions for the default image?
- How can I see what Facebook sees?
- How can I share a single NextGEN Gallery image?
- How do I attach an image without showing it on the webpage?
- How do I fix my theme’s front page pagination?
- How do I install the WPSSO Pro version?
- How does WPSSO find / detect / select images?
- W3C says “there is no attribute ‘property’”
- What about Google Search and Google Plus?
- What features of NextGEN Gallery are supported?
- What is the difference between NGFB and WPSSO?
- What is the difference between the Free and Pro versions?
- Why aren’t Pins from my website posting Rich?
- Why do my Facebook shares have small images?
- Why does Facebook play videos instead of linking them?
- Why does Google Structured Data Testing Tool show errors?
- Why does WPSSO ignore some <img/> HTML tags?
- Why doesn’t Facebook show the correct image?
- Why don’t my Twitter Cards show on Twitter?
- Why is the Open Graph title the same for every webpage?
- Why is the page blank or its components misaligned?
Articles and Tutorials
- How To Optimize Your Content For Social Networks Using WordPress
- Social SEO: WordPress SEO by Yoast vs WPSSO — read about the differences between WordPress SEO by Yoast and WPSSO when used for social sharing.
- About Pro Modules
- Contact Information and Feeds
- Developer Resources
- Head Filters
- Media Filters
- Open Graph Filters
- Twitter Card Filters
- Webpage Filters
- Inline Variables
- Multisite / Network Support
- Performance Tuning
- Working with Image Attachments