Make sure social websites present your content in the best possible way, no matter how your webpage is shared — from sharing buttons on the webpage, browser add-ons and extensions, or URLs shared directly in social timeline posts and private messages.
Advanced Social Management
WordPress Social Sharing Optimization (WPSSO) gives you total control over the information social website crawlers need, improving Google Search ranking, social engagement, and click-through-rates on Facebook, Google+, Twitter, Pinterest, LinkedIn, StumbleUpon, Tumblr and and many more — no sharing buttons required!
Extend or replace your current SEO solution — Google Search reads social meta tags and Knowledge Graph markup, so many users are choosing to extend or even replace their current SEO solution with WPSSO.
Already have social sharing buttons? No problem! Sharing buttons only submit URLs to social websites — WPSSO includes all the information those social website crawlers need to properly share and display your content. Use WPSSO by itself or in combination with any of your favorite social sharing buttons.
"If you want to make every tweet, like, share, pin, and +1 count, then you should definitely start using WPSSO on your WordPress site." — indexwp.com
"I’m now a customer. This plugin is invaluable and a real time saver. The fact that it won’t slow my site down either is something that also sold me on it." — wpkube.com
"Wherever you are at with the social media marketing strategy for your site, the WP Social Sharing Optimization plugin can help you get better results." — wplift.com
"If you want to get the most out of the social shares your content receives, ensure your content stands out when it is posted on the various social networks, and listed in the search engines, then this plugin is a great choice that covers all the bases." — wpmayor.com
"WPSSO Pro provides a handy tool for your marketing team, and improves your content whenever it’s shared by you or your fans. The free version has a lot of great features and makes a good trial version, but I think that eCommerce sites really benefit from the eCommerce plugin and video integrations (as well as the inclusion of Twitter card support) that the Pro version offers." — sellwithwp.com
Quick List of Features
Free / Basic Version
- Adds Open Graph / Rich Pin meta tags (Facebook, Google+, Pinterest, LinkedIn, etc.).
- Configurable image sizes for Open Graph (Facebook, LinkedIn, etc.) and Pinterest.
- Optional fallback to a default image and video for index and search webpages.
- Supports featured, attached, gallery shortcode, and/or HTML image tags in content.
- Fallback to the image alt value if the content and except do not include any text.
- Validates image dimensions to provide accurate media for social websites.
- Auto-regeneration of inaccurate / missing WordPress image sizes.
- Fully renders content (including shortcodes) for accurate description texts.
- Support of WordPress and/or SEO titles for Posts and Pages.
- Configurable title separator character (hyphen by default).
- Configurable title and description lengths for different contexts (Open Graph, Twitter Card, SEO).
- Includes author and publisher profile URLs for Facebook and Google Search.
- Includes hashtags from Post and Page WordPress tags.
- Includes the author's name for Pinterest Rich Pins.
- Includes a Google / SEO description meta tag if a known SEO plugin is not detected.
- Includes author (Person) and publisher (Organization) social profiles markup in schema.org JSON-LD format for Google Search and their Knowledge Graph.
- Provides Facebook, Google+ and Twitter URL user profile contact fields.
- Validation tools and special meta tag preview tabs on admin edit pages.
- Customizable multilingual Site Title and Site Description texts.
- Contextual help for every plugin option and comprehensive online documentation.
- Uses object and transient caches to provide incredibly fast execution speeds.
- Additional free extension plugins for WPSSO:
Pro / Power-User Version
- No Risk 30 Day Refund Policy
- Twitter Card meta tags:
- Product Card — Product information from an e-commerce plugin.
- Player Card — An embedded video in the Post / Page content.
- Gallery Card — A Media Library gallery or NextGEN Gallery shortcode.
- Photo Card — An Attachment page or NextGEN Gallery ImageBrowser webpage.
- Large Image Summary Card — An image from the custom Social Settings, Featured, Attached, or NextGEN Gallery singlepic.
- App Card — Apple Store iPhone / iPad or Google Play App (requires the WPSSO App Meta extension).
- Summary Card — All other webpages.
- Customizable image dimensions for each Twitter Card type.
- Additional profile contact fields with configurable label and field names.
- Custom settings and meta tag values for each Post, Page, and custom post type.
- Options to exclude specific Google / SEO, Open Graph, and Twitter Card meta tags.
- Support for embedded videos in content text (iframe and object HTML tags).
- Integrates with 3rd party plugins and services for additional image, video, product, and content information (see About Pro Modules and Integration Notes for details). The following modules are included with the Pro version, and are automatically loaded if/when the supported plugins and/or services are detected.
- All in One SEO Pack
- Easy Digital Downloads
- HeadSpace2 SEO
- JetPack Photon
- NextGEN Gallery
- MarketPress - WordPress eCommerce
- WordPress SEO by Yoast
- WP e-Commerce
- Service APIs
- Gravatar Images
- Slideshare Presentations
- Vimeo Videos
- Wistia Videos
- YouTube Videos and Playlists
3rd Party Integration
Aside from the additional support for Twitter Cards, the main difference between the WPSSO Free and Pro versions is the integration of 3rd party plugins and services.
Images and Videos
WPSSO detects and uses all images - associated or included in your Post or Page content - including WordPress image galleries. WordPress Media Library images (and NextGEN Gallery in the Pro version) are resized according to their intended audience (Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, etc). The Pro version also detects embedded videos from Slideshare, Vimeo, Wistia, and Youtube (including their preview images).
WPSSO (Pro version) integrates with WordPress SEO by Yoast, All in One SEO Pack, and HeadSpace2 SEO — making sure your custom SEO settings are reflected in the Open Graph, Rich Pin, and Twitter Card meta tags.
Read about the differences between the WordPress SEO by Yoast and WPSSO plugins for social sharing.
WPSSO (Pro version) also supports Easy Digital Downloads, MarketPress - WordPress eCommerce, WooCommerce v1 and v2, and WP e-Commerce product pages, creating appropriate meta tags for Facebook Products, Twitter Product Cards and Pinterest Rich Pins, including variations and additional / custom images.
Forums and Social
WPSSO (Pro version) supports bbPress and BuddyPress (see the BuddyPress Integration Notes), making sure your meta tags reflect the page content, including appropriate titles, descriptions, images, etc.
User Profile Social Contacts
WPSSO (Pro version) allows you to customize the field names, label, and add / remove the following contacts from the user profile page:
- Facebook URL
- Google+ URL
- Jabber / Google Talk
- LinkedIn URL
- Pinterest URL
- Skype Username
- Tumblr URL
- Twitter @username
- Yahoo IM
- YouTube Channel URL
Social Profiles for Google Search
WPSSO provides author (Person) and publisher (Organization) social profiles markup in schema.org JSON-LD format for Google Search and their Knowledge Graph. The author (Person) markup includes the author's website URL, their profile social sharing image, and all listed contact URLs from their user profile. The publisher (Organization) markup includes the website URL, a corporate logo, a default image, and the publisher Facebook, Google+, LinkedIn, Pinterest, and Twitter business pages.
Complete Social Meta Tags
WPSSO adds Facebook / Open Graph, Pinterest Rich Pins, Twitter Cards, and Search Engine Optimization meta tags to the head section of webpages. These meta tags are used by Google Search and most social websites to describe and display your content correctly (title, description, hashtags, images, videos, product, author profile / authorship, publisher, etc.). WPSSO uses the existing content of your webpages to build HTML meta tags — There's no need to manually enter / configure any additional values or settings (although many settings and options are available). See examples from Google Search, Google+, Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, StumbleUpon, Tumblr, etc. — along with screenshots of the WPSSO settings pages.
- Google / SEO Link and Meta Tags
- Facebook Meta Tags
- Open Graph / Rich Pin Meta Tags
- Schema Meta Tags
- Twitter Card Meta Tags (Pro version)
- twitter:card (Summary, Large Image Summary, Photo, Gallery, Player and Product)
WPSSO is fast and coded for performance, making full use of all available caching techniques (persistent / non-persistent object and disk caching). WPSSO loads only the library files and object classes it needs, keeping it small, fast, and yet still able to support a wide range of 3rd party integration features.
Try the WPSSO plugin with complete confidence — when uninstalled, WPSSO removes all traces of itself from the database (options, site options, user and post meta, transients, etc.).
WPSSO support and development is on-going. You can review the FAQ and Notes pages for additional setup information. If you have any suggestions or comments, post them to the WordPress support forum or the Pro version support website.
We do not require WordPress admin access to support the plugin — All support is provided from the front-end using HTML debugging information within the webpage (see the Add Hidden Debug Messages option on the SSO Advanced settings page).
Install and Uninstall
- Developer Special – Buy one, Get one Free
- How-To Migrate from NGFB to WPSSO
- Install the Plugin
- Integration Notes
- Debugging and Problem Solving
- Uninstall the Plugin
WPSSO General Settings Page — Includes options for Open Graph (All Publishers) site information, titles, descriptions, images, videos, and authors. There is also a Publisher Specific section for Facebook, Google (G+ and Search), LinkedIn, Pinterest Rich Pins, and Twitter Cards.
WPSSO Advanced Settings Page — Allows you to fine-tune some advanced plugin settings, the use of various content filters, custom post meta fields, caching techniques, user profile contacts, and enable / disable a long list of meta tags.
WPSSO Social Settings on Posts and Pages — The social settings metabox allows you to modify the default title, description, and image values, preview an example social share, preview all meta tags, and validate the current webpage with various online tools.
Example Facebook Link Share
Example Facebook Video Share
Example Google+ Link Share
Example Google+ Video Share
Example Google Search Result showing Author Profile Info
Example LinkedIn Share
Example Pinterest Image Pin
Example Pinterest Product Pin
Example Pinterest Product Pin (Zoomed)
Example StumbleUpon Share
Example Tumblr 'Link' Share
Example Tumblr 'Photo' Share
Example Tumblr 'Video' Share
Example Twitter 'Summary' Card
Example Twitter 'Large Image Summary' Card
Example Twitter 'Photo' Card
Example Twitter 'Gallery' Card
Example Twitter 'Product' Card
Example Twitter 'Player' Card
Example Social Profiles in Google Search — WPSSO includes author (Person) and publisher (Organization) social profiles markup in schema.org JSON-LD format for Google Search and their Knowledge Graph.
New versions of the plugin are released approximately every week (more or less). New features are added, tested, and released incrementally, instead of grouping them together in a major version release. When minor bugs fixes and/or code improvements are applied, new versions are also released. This release schedule keeps the code stable and reliable, at the cost of more frequent updates.
Free / Basic Version Repository
Version 3.1 (2015/04/24)
- New Features
- Refactored some methods in the SucomNotice class.
- Improved the setup guide and some status / help messages.
- Moved the cleanup of update options on deactivate to the WPSSO UM plugin.
- Added html_entity_decode() on the caption text when SucomWebpage::get_caption() is called with $encode = false.
- Added an additional $ext array argument to the SucomUtil::replace_inline_vars() method.
- Fixed reliance on the deprecated YouTube / Google v2 API for embedded video details (Pro version).
Version 3.0.5 (2015/04/20)
- New Features
- Minor CSS improvements for settings pages and metaboxes.
- Fixed image dimension notices (when saving posts/pages) by calling the meta tag check from 'admin_head' instead of the 'save_post' hook.
Version 3.0.4 (2015/04/18)
- New Features
- Moved Gravatar and video related options to the Pro version (greyed out in the Free version), since these features (aka modules) are only available in the Pro version package anyway.
- Fixed variable name returned by the WooCommerce module for exceptions (Pro version).
Version 3.0.3 (2015/04/16)
- New Features
- Added a new Pinterest "Website Verification ID" option on the SSO General settings page.
- Changed 'sanitize_title' to 'sanitize_title_with_dashes' when sanitizing WordPress tags in order to keep accents.
- When the Twitter Card feature is disabled, exclude Twitter Card meta tags from the duplicate meta tag checks.
Version 3.0.2 (2015/04/14)
- New Features
- Improved the duplicate meta tags check by adding extra "comment" meta tags to better detect the WPSSO meta tag block to be removed / ignored.
- Fixed an unecessary warning to install the Pro version when an extension has an Authentication ID but is deactivated.
Version 3.0.1 (2015/04/13)
- New Features
- Fixed an optional parameter to preg_match_all in SucomUtil for older (pre 5.4) PHP versions.
Version 3.0 (2015/04/12)
- New Features
- Removed the 'Free to Pro version' self-update feature from the Free version code base, and moved it to a new Free extension called "WPSSO Pro Update Manager (WPSSO UM)".
- Added 36 options from the Pro version General settings page back into the Free version (except for the Twitter Card options, which remains a Pro version feature).
- Added a new "Video Embed HTML" and "Video URL" fields to the user Social Settings metabox (Pro version).
- When viewing plugin settings using the "Basic Options View", a new link is now available bellow each settings metabox to unhide / show all options.
- Added a new WPSSO_DOCTYPE_PRIORITY constant to manage the 'language_attributes' hook priority.
- Additional performance improvements for non-debug mode by further centralizing debug mode checks.
- Renamed the 'Pro Licenses' settings page to 'Extension Plugins and Pro Licenses'.
- Added the "WPSSO Pro Update Manager (WPSSO UM)" Free extension plugin to the 'Extension Plugins and Pro Licenses' settings page.
- Changed default image widths from 800px to 600px (lowest recommended value for Facebook).
- Added new
reset_options()methods to the WpssoUser class.
- Fixed the use of custom images from the user / profile Social Settings metabox.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Can I use the Pro version on multiple websites?
- Does LinkedIn read the Open Graph meta tags?
- Doesn’t an SEO plugin cover that?
- How can I exclude / ignore certain parts of the content text?
- How can I fix a ERR_TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS error?
- How can I fix an “HTTP error” when uploading images?
- How can I have smaller dimensions for the default image?
- How can I see what Facebook sees?
- How can I share a single NextGEN Gallery image?
- How do I attach an image without showing it on the webpage?
- How do I fix my theme’s front page pagination?
- How do I install the WPSSO Pro version?
- How does WPSSO find / detect / select images?
- W3C says “there is no attribute ‘property’”
- What about Google Search and Google Plus?
- What features of NextGEN Gallery are supported?
- What is the difference between NGFB and WPSSO?
- What is the difference between the Free and Pro versions?
- Why aren’t Pins from my website posting Rich?
- Why do my Facebook shares have small images?
- Why does Facebook play videos instead of linking them?
- Why does Google Structured Data Testing Tool show errors?
- Why does WPSSO ignore some <img/> HTML tags?
- Why doesn’t Facebook show the correct image?
- Why don’t my Twitter Cards show on Twitter?
- Why is the Open Graph title the same for every webpage?
- Why is the page blank or its components misaligned?
Articles and Tutorials
- How To Optimize Your Content For Social Networks Using WordPress
- Social SEO: WordPress SEO by Yoast vs WPSSO — read about the differences between WordPress SEO by Yoast and WPSSO when used for social sharing.
- About Pro Modules
- Contact Information and Feeds
- Developer Resources
- Head Filters
- Media Filters
- Open Graph Filters
- Twitter Card Filters
- Webpage Filters
- Inline Variables
- Multisite / Network Support
- Performance Tuning
- Working with Image Attachments