Make sure social websites present your content in the best possible way, no matter how your webpage is shared — from sharing buttons on the webpage, browser add-ons and extensions, or URLs pasted directly on social websites.
Advanced Social Management
WordPress Social Sharing Optimization (WPSSO) gives you total control over the information social websites need, improving Google Search ranking, social engagement, and click-through-rates on Facebook, Google+, Twitter, Pinterest, LinkedIn, StumbleUpon, Tumblr and and many more — no sharing buttons required!
"If you want to make every tweet, like, share, pin, and +1 count, then you should definitely start using WPSSO on your WordPress site." — indexwp.com
"I’m now a customer. This plugin is invaluable and a real time saver. The fact that it won’t slow my site down either is something that also sold me on it." — wpkube.com
"Wherever you are at with the social media marketing strategy for your site, the WP Social Sharing Optimization plugin can help you get better results." — wplift.com
"If you want to get the most out of the social shares your content receives, ensure your content stands out when it is posted on the various social networks, and listed in the search engines, then this plugin is a great choice that covers all the bases." — wpmayor.com
"WPSSO Pro provides a handy tool for your marketing team, and improves your content whenever it’s shared by you or your fans. The free version has a lot of great features and makes a good trial version, but I think that eCommerce sites really benefit from the eCommerce plugin and video integrations (as well as the inclusion of Twitter card support) that the Pro version offers." — sellwithwp.com
Quick List of Features
Free / Basic Version
- Adds Open Graph / Rich Pin meta tags (Facebook, Google+, Pinterest, LinkedIn, etc.).
- Configurable image sizes for Open Graph (Facebook, LinkedIn, etc.) and Pinterest.
- Optional fallback to a default image and video for index and search webpages.
- Supports featured, attached, gallery shortcode, and/or HTML image tags in content.
- Validates image dimensions to provide accurate media for social websites.
- Auto-regeneration of inaccurate / missing WordPress image sizes.
- Support for embedded videos (iframe and object HTML tags).
- Fully renders content (including shortcodes) for accurate description texts.
- Configurable title separator character (hyphen by default).
- Includes author and publisher profile URLs for Facebook and Google Search.
- Includes hashtags from Post / Page WordPress Tags.
- Includes the author's name for Pinterest Rich Pins.
- Uses object and transient caches to provide incredibly fast execution speeds.
- Includes a Google / SEO description meta tag if a known SEO plugin is not detected.
- Provides Facebook, Google+ and Twitter URL profile contact fields.
- Validation tools and special meta tag preview tabs on admin edit pages.
- Customizable multilingual Site Title and (default) Description texts.
- Contextual help for every plugin option and comprehensive online documentation.
Pro / Power-User Version
- No Risk 30 Day Refund Policy
- Twitter Card meta tags (Summary, Large Image, Photo, Gallery, Player, and Product).
- Customizable image dimensions for each Twitter Card type.
- Configurable title and description lengths for different contexts (Open Graph, Twitter Card, SEO).
- Additional profile contact fields with configurable label and field names.
- Custom settings and meta tag values for each Post, Page, and custom post type.
- Options to exclude specific Google / SEO, Open Graph, and Twitter Card meta tags.
- Integrates with 3rd party plugins and services for additional image, video, product, and content information (see About Pro Addons and Integration Notes for details):
- All in One SEO Pack
- Easy Digital Downloads
- HeadSpace2 SEO
- JetPack Photon
- NextGEN Gallery
- MarketPress - WordPress eCommerce
- WordPress SEO by Yoast
- WP e-Commerce
- Service APIs
- Gravatar Images
- Slideshare Presentations
- Vimeo Videos
- Wistia Videos
- Youtube Videos and Playlists
Looking for the Pro version? You can purchase Pro license(s) here to update the Free version quickly and easily.
3rd Party Integration
Aside from the additional support for Twitter Cards, the main difference between the Free and Pro versions is the integration of 3rd party plugins and services.
Images and Videos
WPSSO detects and uses all images - associated or included in your Post or Page content - including WordPress Media Library image galleries and embedded videos from Slideshare, Vimeo, Wistia, and Youtube (including their preview images). WordPress Media Library images (and NextGEN Gallery in the Pro version) are resized according to their intended audience (Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, etc).
WPSSO (Pro version) integrates with WordPress SEO by Yoast, All in One SEO Pack, and HeadSpace2 SEO — making sure your custom SEO settings are reflected in the Open Graph, Rich Pin, and Twitter Card meta tags.
WPSSO (Pro version) also supports Easy Digital Downloads, MarketPress - WordPress eCommerce, WooCommerce v1 and v2, and WP e-Commerce product pages, creating appropriate meta tags for Facebook Products, Twitter Product Cards and Pinterest Rich Pins, including variations and additional / custom images.
Forums and Social
WPSSO (Pro version) supports bbPress and BuddyPress (see the BuddyPress Integration Notes), making sure your meta tags reflect the page content, including appropriate titles, descriptions, images, etc.
WPSSO (Pro version) allows you to customize the field names, label, and show/remove the following contacts from the user profile page:
- Jabber / Google Talk
- Yahoo IM
Complete Meta Tags
WPSSO adds Facebook / Open Graph, Pinterest Rich Pins, Twitter Cards, and Search Engine Optimization meta tags to the head section of webpages. These meta tags are used by Google Search and most social websites to describe and display your content correctly (title, description, hashtags, images, videos, product, author profile / authorship, publisher, etc.). WPSSO uses the existing content of your webpages to build HTML meta tags — There's no need to manually enter / configure any additional values or settings (although many settings and options are available). See examples from Google Search, Google+, Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, StumbleUpon, Tumblr, etc. — along with screenshots of the WPSSO settings pages.
- Google / SEO Link and Meta Tags
- Facebook Meta Tags
- Open Graph / Rich Pin Meta Tags
- Schema Meta Tags
- Twitter Card Meta Tags (Pro version)
- twitter:card (Summary, Large Image Summary, Photo, Gallery, Player and Product)
WPSSO is fast and coded for performance, making full use of all available caching techniques (persistent / non-persistent object and disk caching). WPSSO loads only the library files and object classes it needs, keeping it small, fast, and yet still able to support a wide range of 3rd party integration features.
How Fast is WPSSO?
Very Fast. A few example metrics from the P3 (Plugin Performance Profiler) plugin, using WP Test Data, and the default settings of several popular plugins, along with the WordPress Core and Twenty Fourteen theme for reference:
- 0.0050 secs - WPSSO Social Sharing Buttons (SSB) v1.0.9
- 0.0117 secs - WordPress Social Sharing Optimization (WPSSO) v2.6.5
- 0.0149 secs - All in One SEO Pack v2.2.1
- 0.0157 secs - MarketPress - WordPress eCommerce v184.108.40.206 (No Products)
- 0.0186 secs - NextGEN Facebook (NGFB) v7.6.8
- 0.0230 secs - Easy Digital Downloads v1.9.8 (No Products)
- 0.0254 secs - MailPoet Newsletters (aka Wysija Newsletters) v2.6.9
- 0.0322 secs - WP e-Commerce v220.127.116.11 (No Products)
- 0.0345 secs - WordPress Twenty Fourteen Theme v1.1
- 0.0393 secs - bbPress v2.5.3 (No Forums or Topics)
- 0.0425 secs - WooCommerce v2.1.5 (No Products)
- 0.0488 secs - WordPress Core v3.9.1
- 0.0572 secs - SEO Ultimate v7.6.2
- 0.0579 secs - Facebook v1.5.5
- 0.0656 secs - BuddyPress v1.9.2 (No Activities)
- 0.1055 secs - WordPress SEO by Yoast v18.104.22.168
- 0.1980 secs - JetPack by WordPress.com v2.9.2
- 0.2085 secs - NextGEN Gallery by Photocrati v2.0.66 (No Galleries or Images)
Benchmarks were executed on dedicated hardware, using an APC opcode/object cache, WordPress v3.9.1, and P3 v1.5.1 configured with opcode optimization enabled (improves accuracy).
Try the WPSSO plugin with complete confidence — when uninstalled, WPSSO removes all traces of itself from the database (options, site options, user and post meta, transients, etc.).
WPSSO support and development is on-going. You can review the FAQ and Notes pages for additional setup information. If you have any suggestions or comments, post them to the WordPress support forum or the Pro version support website.
Install and Uninstall
An Example Facebook Link Share
An Example Facebook Video Share
An Example Google+ Link Share
An Example Google+ Video Share
An Example Google Search Result showing Author Profile Info
An Example LinkedIn Share
An Example Pinterest Image Pin
An Example Pinterest Product Pin
An Example Pinterest Product Pin (Zoomed)
An Example StumbleUpon Share
An Example Tumblr 'Link' Share
An Example Tumblr 'Photo' Share
An Example Tumblr 'Video' Share
An Example Twitter 'Summary' Card
An Example Twitter 'Large Image Summary' Card
An Example Twitter 'Photo' Card
An Example Twitter 'Gallery' Card
An Example Twitter 'Product' Card
- Fix to allow the og:image meta tag to be disabled, without disabling the og:image:secure_url meta tag as well.
- Updated the wordpress.org URLs from HTTP to HTTPS.
- Added the
get_options()method to the SucomForm class.
- Added a check for the number of returned video preview images.
- Added a new 'Include Video Preview Image' option in the SSO General settings page (Pro version).
- Added a check for the 'auto-draft' post status when displaying the Social Settings metabox (Free version).
- Added a merge feature for post meta options, to retain hidden / excluded options from the Social Settings form (Pro version).
- Renamed / changed the 'Header Tags' tab in the Social Settings metabox for 'Title and Description' and 'Image and Video'.
- Moved the 'Google+ / Schema Description' option in the Social Settings to the All Options view (hidden in the Basic Options view).
Frequently Asked Questions
- Can I use the Pro version on multiple websites?
- Does LinkedIn read the Open Graph meta tags?
- Doesn’t an SEO plugin cover that?
- How can I exclude / ignore certain parts of the content text?
- How can I see what Facebook sees?
- How can I share a single NextGEN Gallery image?
- How do I attach an image without showing it on the webpage?
- How do I install the WPSSO Pro version?
- How does WPSSO find / detect / select images?
- W3C says “there is no attribute ‘property’”
- What about Google Search and Google Plus?
- What features of NextGEN Gallery are supported?
- What is the difference between the Free and Pro versions?
- Why aren’t Pins from my website posting Rich?
- Why do my Facebook shares have small images?
- Why does Facebook play videos instead of linking them?
- Why does Google Structured Data Testing Tool show errors?
- Why does WPSSO ignore some <img/> HTML tags?
- Why doesn’t Facebook show the correct image?
- Why don’t my Twitter Cards show on Twitter?
- Why is the Open Graph title the same for every webpage?
- About Pro Addons
- Contact Information and Feeds
- Debugging and Problem Solving
- Developer Resources
- Inline Variables
- Multisite / Network Support
- Performance Tuning
- Working with Image Attachments