Plugins that add social sharing buttons should be fairly light and fast — they generally don’t need to fetch much information about a page, like an SEO or SMO / SSO plugin does. Here are some example “execution time” metrics from the P3 (Plugin Performance Profiler) plugin, using WP Test Data, and several popular social sharing plugins (along with the WordPress Core and Twenty Fourteen theme for reference). The plugins were configured to include the Facebook, Google+, Twitter, and Pinterest sharing buttons at the bottom of single posts and pages.
- 0.0025 secs – ShareThis v7.0.17
- 0.0040 secs – AddThis Social Bookmarking Widget v3.5.10
- 0.0050 secs – WPSSO Social Sharing Buttons (SSB) v1.0
- 0.0070 secs – Digg Digg v5.3.6
- 0.0081 secs – Facebook v1.5.5 (Provides Only Facebook Buttons)
- 0.0096 secs – Share Buttons by AddToAny v1.3.4
- 0.0232 secs – Shareaholic | share buttons, analytics, related content v18.104.22.168
- 0.0345 secs – WordPress Twenty Fourteen Theme v1.1
- 0.0488 secs – WordPress Core v3.9.1
Benchmarks were executed on dedicated hardware, using an APC opcode/object cache, WordPress v3.9.1, and P3 v1.5.1 configured with opcode optimization enabled (improves accuracy).