WordPress Social Sharing Optimization (WPSSO) adds HTML meta tags to the head section of WordPress webpages for improved Google Search results / ranking and sharing on Facebook, Google+, Twitter, LinkedIn, Pinterest, StumbleUpon, Tumblr and other social websites.
Summary of Features
- Adds Facebook / Google+ / LinkedIn / etc. Open Graph, Pinterest Rich Pin, and Twitter Card meta tags.
- Configurable image sizes and content descriptions for different contexts.
- Configurable contact fields for author meta tags and user profile pages.
- Integrates with 3rd party plugins and services for additional image, video, product, and content information:
- NextGEN Gallery
- JetPack Photon
- WordPress SEO by Yoast
- All in One SEO Pack
- WP e-Commerce
- Slideshare, Vimeo, Wistia, Youtube APIs
Complete Meta Tags
WPSSO adds Facebook / Open Graph, Pinterest Rich Pins, Twitter Cards, and (optionally) Search Engine Optimization meta tags to the head section of webpages. These meta tags are used by Google Search and most Social Websites to describe and display your content correctly (title, description, keyword tags, images, videos, product, author profile / authorship, publisher, etc.). See a few examples from Google Search / Google+, Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, StumbleUpon, Tumblr, and others.
WPSSO (Pro version) provides the Summary, Large Image Summary, Photo, Gallery, Player and Product Twitter Cards, including configurable image sizes for each card type.
WPSSO is fast and tuned for performance, and unlike most plugins, makes full use of all available caching techniques (persistent / non-persistent object and disk caching).
WPSSO only loads the library files and object classes it needs, keeping it small, fast, and yet still able to support a wide range of 3rd party integration features.
3rd Party Integration
Aside from the additional support for Twitter Cards, the main difference between the GPL and Pro versions is the integration of 3rd party plugins and services.
Images and Videos
WPSSO detects and uses all images - associated or included in your Post or Page content - including WordPress Media Library image galleries and embedded videos from Slideshare, Vimeo, Wistia, and Youtube (including their preview images). WordPress Media Library images (and NextGEN Gallery in the Pro version) are resized according to their intended audience (Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, etc).
WPSSO (Pro version) also includes support for JetPack Photon and NextGEN Gallery v1 and v2 albums, galleries and images (shortcodes, image tags, album / gallery preview images, etc.).
WPSSO (Pro version) integrates with WordPress SEO by Yoast and All in One SEO Pack, making sure your custom SEO settings are reflected in the Open Graph, Rich Pin, and Twitter Card meta tags.
WPSSO (Pro version) also supports WooCommerce v1 and v2, MarketPress WordPress eCommerce and WP e-Commerce product pages, creating appropriate meta tags for Facebook Products, Twitter Product Cards and Pinterest Rich Pins, including variations and additional / custom images.
Forums and Social
WPSSO (Pro version) supports bbPress and BuddyPress (see the BuddyPress Integration Notes), making sure your meta tags reflect the page content, including appropriate titles, descriptions, images, etc.
WPSSO (Pro version) allows you to customize the field names, label, and show / remove the following Contact Methods from the user profile page:
- Jabber / Google Talk
- Yahoo IM
Try the WPSSO plugin with complete confidence - when uninstalled, WPSSO removes all traces of itself from the database (options, site options, user and post meta, transients, etc.).
WPSSO support and development is on-going. You can review the FAQ and Notes pages for additional setup information. If you have any suggestions or comments, post them to the WordPress support forum or the Pro version support website.
Surnia Ulula on Google+, Facebook, and Twitter, and YouTube.
- Added action hooks for 'wpmu_new_blog' and 'wpmu_activate_blog' to install default options (if necessary) when multisite blogs are added / activated.
- Added a notice error message if/when the WordPress
wp_remote_get() function (used when checking for updates) returns an error (Pro version).
- Changed the update filter hook priorities from 10 to 100 in order to avoid 3rd party filters from modifying the update information (Pro version).
- Changed the default Open Graph Image Dimensions from 1200x630, cropped to 1200x1200, cropped.
Pinterest Rich Pins have adopted the Open Graph standard, except for the 'article:author' meta tag value. The Open Graph standard expects the 'article:author' to be a profile URL or profile ID, where-as Pinterest expects a person's name instead (and ignores any URL values). To correct this incompatibility, a new Pinterest publisher settings tab has been added to the SSO General settings page, with an option to include an author's name specifically for the Pinterest crawler. The default value includes the author's 'Display Name', but you may also choose the author's 'First and Last Names' or 'Nickname' instead.
If you use a full-page caching front-end or plugin (Quick Cache, etc.), see the Performance Tuning notes about caches and Pinterest meta tags.
- Added a new Pinterest publisher settings tab, along with a new 'Author Name Format' option.
- Changed the 'wpsso_load_lib' action to a filter (returning true or false).
- Improved the 'wpsso_load_lib' filter for compatibility with future addon plugins.
- Added support for NextGEN Gallery's 'href_link' image attribute to determine the correct image ID (Pro version).
- Added an 'wpsso_get_content_img_data_ngg_pid' filter to fetch image information for NGG image attributes (Pro version).
- Added support for YouTube's old video embed code.
- Fixed checks for the
- Fixed missing check for the 'plugin_filter_lang' option to enable/disable the WP Locale Language addon (Pro version).
- Improved error message reporting for permission issues accessing the cache folder.
WPSSO can recognize and parse standard object / iframe embed code, but some themes and plugins offer a custom field for video URLs, which is then used to create custom / non-standard embed code. Version 2.1 includes a new 'Video URL Custom Field' option on the Advanced settings page, under the Custom Settings tab, where you can enter the name of such a custom field. If found, the video URL will be used to retrieve information on that video, just like if it was found embedded in the content. Typically, the custom field name will start with an underscore, and the default 'Video URL Custom Field' name is "_format_video_embed" (which may or may not be supported by your theme, or may be known under a different name).
- Added an 'Video URL Custom Field' option to include a video URL from a theme's custom field (Pro version).
- Added new 'wpsso_post_cache_transients' and 'wpsso_post_cache_objects' filters, called when a Post or Page is updated.
- Moved the Vimeo and Yahoo APIs to Pro version addons.
- Fixed false positive on the Custom Post Meta addon status (GPL version).
- Fixed flushing of transient cache for sharing buttons on Post / Page updates.