Make sure social websites present your content in the best possible way, no matter how your webpage is shared — from sharing buttons on the webpage, browser add-ons and extensions, or URLs pasted directly on social websites.
NextGEN Facebook (NGFB) gives you total control over the information social websites need, improving Google Search ranking, social engagement, and click-through-rates on Facebook, Google+, Twitter, Pinterest, LinkedIn, StumbleUpon, Tumblr and and many more — along with offering many of the most popular social sharing buttons!
Looking for the NGFB Pro version? Upgrade the Free plugin quickly and easily here.
Quick List of Features
Free / Basic Version
- Adds Open Graph / Rich Pin meta tags (Facebook, Google+, Pinterest, LinkedIn, etc.).
- Configurable image sizes, title and description lengths for different contexts.
- Optional fallback to a default image and video for index and search webpages.
- Supports featured, attached, gallery shortcode, and/or HTML image tags in content.
- Validates image dimensions to provide accurate media for social websites.
- Auto-regeneration of inaccurate / missing WordPress image sizes.
- Support for embedded videos (iframe and object HTML tags).
- Fully renders content (including shortcodes) for accurate description texts.
- Includes author and publisher profile URLs for Facebook and Google Search.
- Includes hashtags from Post / Page WordPress Tags.
- Includes the author's name for Pinterest Rich Pins.
- Uses object and transient caches to provide incredibly fast execution speeds.
- Includes a Google / SEO description meta tag if a known SEO plugin is not detected.
- Provides Facebook, Google+ and Twitter URL profile contact fields.
- Validation tools and special meta tag preview tabs on admin edit pages.
- Customizable multilingual Site Title and (default) Description texts.
- Contextual help for every plugin option and comprehensive online documentation.
- Default stylesheets for each social sharing button location.
- Social sharing buttons for the content, excerpt, in a widget, as a shortcode, floating sidebar, and/or PHP function.
Pro / Power-User Version
Looking for the NGFB Pro version? Upgrade the Free plugin quickly and easily here.
- Twitter Card meta tags (Summary, Large Image, Photo, Gallery, Player, and Product).
- Customizable image dimensions for each Twitter Card type.
- Additional profile contact fields with configurable label and field names.
- Custom settings and meta tag values for each Post, Page, and custom post type.
- Options to exclude specific Google / SEO, Open Graph, and Twitter Card meta tags.
- URL shortening (Bitly and Google) for URLs in Twitter shares.
- Stylesheets editor for each social sharing button locations.
- Options to include / exclude multilingual social sharing buttons on Posts, Page, and custom post types.
- Integrates with 3rd party plugins and services for additional image, video, product, and content information (see About Pro Addons and Integration Notes for details):
- All in One SEO Pack
- Easy Digital Downloads
- JetPack Photon
- NextGEN Gallery
- MarketPress - WordPress eCommerce
- WordPress SEO by Yoast
- WP e-Commerce
- Service APIs
- Gravatar Images
- Bitly Shortener
- Google Shortener
- Slideshare Presentations
- Vimeo Videos
- Wistia Videos
- Youtube Videos and Playlists
Complete Meta Tags
NGFB adds Open Graph (Facebook), Pinterest Rich Pins, Twitter Cards, and Search Engine Optimization meta tags to the head section of webpages. These meta tags are used by Google Search and most social websites to describe and display your content correctly (title, description, hashtags, images, videos, product, author profile / authorship, publisher, etc.).
NGFB is a complete social sharing solution that uses the existing content of your webpages to build HTML meta tags — There's no need to manually enter / configure any additional values or settings (although many settings and options are available).
See examples from Google Search, Google+, Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, StumbleUpon, Tumblr, etc. — along with screenshots of the NGFB settings pages.
- Google / SEO Link and Meta Tags
- Facebook Meta Tags
- Open Graph / Rich Pin Meta Tags
- Schema Meta Tags
- Twitter Card Meta Tags (Pro version)
- twitter:card (Summary, Large Image Summary, Photo, Gallery, Player and Product)
3rd Party Integration
Aside from the additional support for Twitter Cards, the main difference between the Free and Pro versions is the integration of 3rd party plugins and services.
Images and Videos
NGFB detects and uses all images - associated or included in your Post or Page content - including WordPress Media Library image galleries and embedded videos from Slideshare, Vimeo, Wistia, and Youtube (including their preview images). WordPress Media Library images (and NextGEN Gallery in the Pro version) are resized according to their intended audience (Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, etc).
WPSSO (Pro version) also supports Easy Digital Downloads, MarketPress - WordPress eCommerce, WooCommerce v1 and v2, and WP e-Commerce product pages, creating appropriate meta tags for Facebook Products, Twitter Product Cards and Pinterest Rich Pins, including variations and additional / custom images.
Forums and Social
NGFB (Pro version) supports bbPress and BuddyPress (see the BuddyPress Integration Notes), making sure your meta tags reflect the page content, including appropriate titles, descriptions, images, etc. Social sharing buttons can also be added to bbPress single template pages and BuddyPress activities.
Social Sharing Buttons
NGFB comes with several sharing buttons, that you can optionally include on Post / Page editing pages, above / below your content or excerpt, bbPress single pages, BuddyPress activity entries, as a sidebar, widget, shortcode, or even a function call from your theme template(s). Each of the following sharing buttons can be enabled, configured, and styled individually:
- Facebook (Like, Send, and Share)
- Tumblr (Links, Quotes, Images, Videos)
- Twitter (Summary, Large Image Summary, Photo, Gallery, Player and Product Cards)
The Facebook, Google+ and Twitter sharing buttons support multiple languages. A default language can be chosen in the NGFB settings, and the Pro version switches the sharing button language with the webpage language (WordPress locale). NGFB can also include hashtags, from WordPress and NextGEN Gallery tag names, in the Open Graph (Facebook) and Pinterest Rich Pin descriptions, Tweet text, and other social captions.
NGFB (Pro version) allows you to customize the field names, label, and show / remove the following Contact Methods from the user profile page:
- Jabber / Google Talk
- Yahoo IM
NGFB is fast and coded for performance, making full use of all available caching techniques (persistent / non-persistent object and disk caching). NGFB loads only the library files and object classes it needs, keeping it small, fast, and yet still able to support a wide range of 3rd party integration features.
- 0.0108 secs - WordPress Social Sharing Optimization (WPSSO) v2.5.5
- 0.0117 secs - All in One SEO Pack v2.1.4
- 0.0130 secs - MarketPress - WordPress eCommerce v184.108.40.206 (No Products)
- 0.0176 secs - NextGEN Facebook (NGFB) v7.5.5
- 0.0189 secs - Contact Form 7 v3.7.2
- 0.0230 secs - Easy Digital Downloads v1.9.8 (No Products)
- 0.0322 secs - WP e-Commerce v220.127.116.11 (No Products)
- 0.0393 secs - bbPress v2.5.3 (No Forums or Topics)
- 0.0405 secs - WooCommerce v2.1.5 (No Products)
- 0.0572 secs - SEO Ultimate v7.6.2
- 0.0579 secs - Facebook v1.5.5
- 0.0656 secs - BuddyPress v1.9.2 (No Activities)
- 0.1051 secs - WordPress SEO by Yoast v18.104.22.168
- 0.1980 secs - JetPack by WordPress.com v2.9.2
Tests executed on a VPS with SSDs and 6GB ram, APC opcode/object cache, WordPress v3.8.1, P3 v1.4.1 configured with opcode optimization enabled (improves accuracy).
Try the NGFB plugin with complete confidence — when uninstalled, NGFB removes all traces of itself from the database (options, site options, user and post meta, transients, etc.).
NGFB support and development is on-going. You can review the FAQ and Notes pages for additional setup information. If you have any suggestions or comments, post them to the WordPress support forum or the Pro version support website.
Install and Uninstall
Screenshot 1 : An Example Facebook Link Share
Screenshot 2 : An Example Facebook Video Share
Screenshot 3 : An Example Google+ Link Share
Screenshot 4 : An Example Google+ Video Share
Screenshot 5 : An Example Google Search Result showing Author Profile Info
Screenshot 6 : An Example LinkedIn Share
Screenshot 7 : An Example Pinterest Image Pin
Screenshot 8 : An Example Pinterest Product Pin
Screenshot 9 : An Example Pinterest Product Pin (Zoomed)
Screenshot 10 : An Example StumbleUpon Share
Screenshot 11 : An Example Tumblr 'Link' Share
Screenshot 12 : An Example Tumblr 'Photo' Share
Screenshot 13 : An Example Tumblr 'Video' Share
Screenshot 14 : An Example Twitter 'Summary' Card
Screenshot 15 : An Example Twitter 'Large Image Summary' Card
Screenshot 16 : An Example Twitter 'Photo' Card
Screenshot 17 : An Example Twitter 'Gallery' Card
Screenshot 18 : An Example Twitter 'Product' Card
Screenshot 19 : NGFB General Settings Page
Screenshot 20 : NGFB Advanced Settings Page
Screenshot 21 : NGFB Buttons Settings Page
Screenshot 22 : NGFB Styles Settings Page
Screenshot 23 : Post / Page NGFB Custom Settings
- Fixed the Basic / All Options switching feature on the settings pages, to save the new display preference upon switching.
- Added the missing schema 'itemscope' / 'itemtype' value in the <html> tag for Google+.
- Added a new 'G+ / Schema Description Length' option on the "Google+ and Search" settings tab.
- Added a new 'G+ / Schema Description' field in the Social Settings metabox.
- Renamed the 'Default Description' field in the Social Settings metabox to 'Default / OG Description'.
- Renamed the 'Google / SEO Description' field in the Social Settings metabox to 'Search / SEO Description'.
- Renamed the (not yet documented) 'ngfb_meta_og' filter to 'ngfb_meta_name'.
- Added the
$customvariables to the 'ngfb_title_seed' and 'ngfb_description_seed' filter parameters.
* Added an
is_array()test for values returned by the WordPress
get_the_terms()function in the EDD and WooCommerce addons (Pro version).
- Added the "Read Me", "Setup Guide", and "What's New" setting pages to the Network Admin NGFB menu.
- Added a new 'Plugin Settings to Display' option to select between a set of 'Basic Plugin Options' and 'All Plugin Options'.
- Improved the CSS to add more space between the various plugin option fields (props patrickd his suggestion).
- Moved the management of several non-essential options to the Pro version.
- Added a 'Shortcode Preset' option.
- Added support for a 'preset_id' to the NGFB shortcode.
- Added an 'Image Dimensions' option in the Pinterest publisher settings tab.
- Added an additional check for images sizes returned by WordPress to validate the aspect ratio of uncropped images. WordPress has an unfortunate habit of returning images that are "close enough" and may return cropped images when an uncropped image was requested.
- Fixed the post ID reference for header transient objects.
- Renamed the 'About' settings page to 'Read Me'.
- Added a new 'Setup Guide' settings page with configuration hints and suggestions.
- Added a new 'Welcome' dashboard page, displayed only once, when the options are updated or the plugin is activated.
- Changed the urlencode() call to rawurlencode() to remove the '+' character from Pinterest descriptions on mobile devices.
- Renamed the 'Custom Settings' metabox to 'Social Settings'.
- Renamed the
$this->p->userobject variable to
- Changed several
is_author()checks to include support for admin side user profile pages.
- Added support for HTTPS to the Reddit, Managewp, and Tumblr buttons.
- Added an
NgfbUtilUseraddon class that extends
- Added a 'Gravatar Images for Author Indexes' option on the General settings page.
- Added a 'Force Default Image on Author Index' option on the General settings page.
- Added a 'Force Default Video on Author Index' option on the General settings page.
- Added a 'Show Social Settings on: User Profile' option on the Advanced settings page.
- Added a
get_author_image()method to the
- Added a
get_author_object()method to the
- Added the
- Added the
lib/pro/media/gravatar.phplibrary files (Pro version).
- Added an 'Author Gravatar' addon to include Gravatar images in author index pages (Pro version).
- Added a new 'Social Settings' metabox to the user profile page (Pro version).
Frequently Asked Questions
- Can I use the Pro version on multiple websites?
- Does LinkedIn read the Open Graph meta tags?
- Doesn’t an SEO plugin cover that?
- How can I exclude / ignore certain parts of the content text?
- How can I see what Facebook sees?
- How can I share a single NextGEN Gallery image?
- How do I attach an image without showing it on the webpage?
- How do I install the Pro version?
- How does NGFB find / detect / select images?
- Social Sharing Buttons
- Can I share a single image on a webpage?
- Can I use other social sharing buttons?
- How do I turn on Social Sharing Buttons for a page?
- Why are the buttons showing the wrong language?
- Why does the Facebook “Like” button flyout get clipped?
- Why doesn’t the Pinterest button show?
- Why doesn’t the Twitter count increase?
- W3C says “there is no attribute ‘property’”
- What about Google Search and Google Plus?
- What features of NextGEN Gallery are supported?
- What is the difference between the Free and Pro versions?
- Why aren’t Pins from my website posting Rich?
- Why do my Facebook shares have small images?
- Why does Facebook play videos instead of linking them?
- Why does Google Structured Data Testing Tool show errors?
- Why does the plugin ignore some <img/> HTML tags?
- Why doesn’t Facebook show the correct image?
- Why don’t my Twitter Cards show on Twitter?
- Why is the Open Graph title the same for every webpage?
- About Pro Addons
- Contact Information and Feeds
- Debugging and Problem Solving
- Developer Resources
- Multisite / Network Support
- Performance Tuning
- Styling Social Buttons
- Working with Image Attachments