Make sure social websites present your content in the best possible way, no matter how your webpage is shared — from sharing buttons on the webpage, browser add-ons and extensions, or URLs pasted directly on social websites.
NextGEN Facebook (NGFB) gives you total control over the information social websites need, improving Google Search ranking, social engagement, and click-through-rates on Facebook, Google+, Twitter, Pinterest, LinkedIn, StumbleUpon, Tumblr and and many more — along with offering many of the most popular social sharing buttons!
Quick List of Features
Free / Basic Version
- Adds Open Graph / Rich Pin meta tags (Facebook, Google+, Pinterest, LinkedIn, etc.).
- Configurable image sizes for Open Graph (Facebook, LinkedIn, etc.) and Pinterest.
- Optional fallback to a default image and video for index and search webpages.
- Supports featured, attached, gallery shortcode, and/or HTML image tags in content.
- Validates image dimensions to provide accurate media for social websites.
- Auto-regeneration of inaccurate / missing WordPress image sizes.
- Support for embedded videos (iframe and object HTML tags).
- Fully renders content (including shortcodes) for accurate description texts.
- Configurable title separator character (hyphen by default).
- Support of WordPress and/or SEO titles for Posts and Pages.
- Includes author and publisher profile URLs for Facebook and Google Search.
- Includes hashtags from Post / Page WordPress Tags.
- Includes the author's name for Pinterest Rich Pins.
- Includes a Google / SEO description meta tag if a known SEO plugin is not detected.
- Fallback to the image alt value if the content and except do not include any text.
- Provides Facebook, Google+ and Twitter URL profile contact fields.
- Validation tools and special meta tag preview tabs on admin edit pages.
- Customizable multilingual Site Title and Site Description texts.
- Contextual help for every plugin option and comprehensive online documentation.
- Uses object and transient caches to provide incredibly fast execution speeds.
- Default stylesheets for each social sharing button location.
- Social sharing buttons for the content, excerpt, in a widget, as a shortcode, floating sidebar, and/or PHP function.
Pro / Power-User Version
- No Risk 30 Day Refund Policy
- Twitter Card meta tags:
- Product Card — Product information from an e-commerce plugin.
- Player Card — An embedded video in the Post / Page content.
- Gallery Card — A Media Library gallery or NextGEN Gallery shortcode.
- Photo Card — An Attachment page or NextGEN Gallery ImageBrowser webpage.
- Large Image Summary Card — An image from the custom Social Settings, Featured, Attached, or NextGEN Gallery singlepic.
- Summary Card — All other webpages.
- Customizable image dimensions for each Twitter Card type.
- Configurable title and description lengths for different contexts (Open Graph, Twitter Card, SEO).
- Additional profile contact fields with configurable label and field names.
- Custom settings and meta tag values for each Post, Page, and custom post type.
- Options to exclude specific Google / SEO, Open Graph, and Twitter Card meta tags.
- A stylesheets editor for each social sharing button locations (content, excerpt, shortcode, widget, etc.).
- Dynamic button language switching based on the current WordPress locale.
- URL shortening with Bitly or Google for URLs in Tweet texts.
- Ability to include / exclude sharing buttons by post type.
- Selection of preset button options by location (content, excerpt, shortcode, widget, etc.).
- Integrates with 3rd party plugins and services for additional image, video, product, and content information (see About Pro Addons and Integration Notes for details):
- All in One SEO Pack
- Easy Digital Downloads
- HeadSpace2 SEO
- JetPack Photon
- NextGEN Gallery
- MarketPress - WordPress eCommerce
- WordPress SEO by Yoast
- WP e-Commerce
- Service APIs
- Gravatar Images
- Bitly Shortener
- Google Shortener
- Slideshare Presentations
- Vimeo Videos
- Wistia Videos
- Youtube Videos and Playlists
Looking for the Pro version? You can purchase Pro license(s) here to update the Free version quickly and easily.
3rd Party Integration
Aside from the additional support for Twitter Cards, the main difference between the Free and Pro versions is the integration of 3rd party plugins and services.
Images and Videos
NGFB detects and uses all images - associated or included in your Post or Page content - including WordPress Media Library image galleries and embedded videos from Slideshare, Vimeo, Wistia, and Youtube (including their preview images). WordPress Media Library images (and NextGEN Gallery in the Pro version) are resized according to their intended audience (Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, etc).
NGFB (Pro version) integrates with WordPress SEO by Yoast, All in One SEO Pack, and HeadSpace2 SEO — making sure your custom SEO settings are reflected in the Open Graph, Rich Pin, and Twitter Card meta tags.
WPSSO (Pro version) also supports Easy Digital Downloads, MarketPress - WordPress eCommerce, WooCommerce v1 and v2, and WP e-Commerce product pages, creating appropriate meta tags for Facebook Products, Twitter Product Cards and Pinterest Rich Pins, including variations and additional / custom images.
Forums and Social
NGFB (Pro version) supports bbPress and BuddyPress (see the BuddyPress Integration Notes), making sure your meta tags reflect the page content, including appropriate titles, descriptions, images, etc. Social sharing buttons can also be added to bbPress single template pages and BuddyPress activities.
Social Sharing Buttons
NGFB comes with several sharing buttons, that you can optionally include on Post / Page editing pages, above / below your content or excerpt, bbPress single pages, BuddyPress activity entries, as a sidebar, widget, shortcode, or even call a function from your theme template(s). Each of the following sharing buttons can be enabled, configured, and styled individually:
- Facebook (Like, Send, and Share)
- Tumblr (Links, Quotes, Images, Videos)
- Twitter (Summary, Large Image Summary, Photo, Gallery, Player and Product Cards)
The Facebook, Google+ and Twitter sharing buttons support multiple languages. A default language can be chosen in the NGFB settings, and the Pro version switches the sharing button language with the webpage language / WordPress locale. NGFB can also include hashtags, from WordPress and NextGEN Gallery tag names, in the Open Graph (Facebook) and Pinterest Rich Pin descriptions, Tweet text, and other social captions.
NGFB (Pro version) allows you to customize the field names, label, and show/remove the following contacts from the user profile page:
- Jabber / Google Talk
- Yahoo IM
Complete Meta Tags
NGFB adds Open Graph (Facebook), Pinterest Rich Pins, Twitter Cards, and Search Engine Optimization meta tags to the head section of webpages. These meta tags are used by Google Search and most social websites to describe and display your content correctly (title, description, hashtags, images, videos, product, author profile / authorship, publisher, etc.). NGFB is a complete social sharing solution that uses the existing content of your webpages to build HTML meta tags — There's no need to manually enter / configure any additional values or settings (although many settings and options are available). See examples from Google Search, Google+, Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, StumbleUpon, Tumblr, etc. — along with screenshots of the NGFB settings pages.
- Google / SEO Link and Meta Tags
- Facebook Meta Tags
- Open Graph / Rich Pin Meta Tags
- Schema Meta Tags
- Twitter Card Meta Tags (Pro version)
- twitter:card (Summary, Large Image Summary, Photo, Gallery, Player and Product)
NGFB is fast and coded for performance, making full use of all available caching techniques (persistent / non-persistent object and disk caching). NGFB loads only the library files and object classes it needs, keeping it small, fast, and yet still able to support a wide range of 3rd party integration features.
How Fast is NGFB?
Very Fast. A few example metrics from the P3 (Plugin Performance Profiler) plugin, using WP Test Data, and the default settings of several popular plugins, along with the WordPress Core and Twenty Fourteen theme for reference:
- 0.0050 secs - WPSSO Social Sharing Buttons (SSB) v1.0.9
- 0.0116 secs - WordPress Social Sharing Optimization (WPSSO) v2.6.9
- 0.0149 secs - All in One SEO Pack v2.2.1
- 0.0157 secs - MarketPress - WordPress eCommerce v184.108.40.206 (No Products)
- 0.0186 secs - NextGEN Facebook (NGFB) v7.6.8
- 0.0230 secs - Easy Digital Downloads v1.9.8 (No Products)
- 0.0254 secs - MailPoet Newsletters (aka Wysija Newsletters) v2.6.9
- 0.0322 secs - WP e-Commerce v220.127.116.11 (No Products)
- 0.0345 secs - WordPress Twenty Fourteen Theme v1.1
- 0.0393 secs - bbPress v2.5.3 (No Forums or Topics)
- 0.0425 secs - WooCommerce v2.1.5 (No Products)
- 0.0488 secs - WordPress Core v3.9.1
- 0.0572 secs - SEO Ultimate v7.6.2
- 0.0579 secs - Facebook v1.5.5
- 0.0656 secs - BuddyPress v1.9.2 (No Activities)
- 0.1055 secs - WordPress SEO by Yoast v18.104.22.168
- 0.1980 secs - JetPack by WordPress.com v2.9.2
- 0.2085 secs - NextGEN Gallery by Photocrati v2.0.66 (No Galleries or Images)
Benchmarks were executed on dedicated hardware, using an APC opcode/object cache, WordPress v3.9.1, and P3 v1.5.1 configured with opcode optimization enabled (improves accuracy).
Try the NGFB plugin with complete confidence — when uninstalled, NGFB removes all traces of itself from the database (options, site options, user and post meta, transients, etc.).
NGFB support and development is on-going. You can review the FAQ and Notes pages for additional setup information. If you have any suggestions or comments, post them to the WordPress support forum or the Pro version support website.
Install and Uninstall
An Example Facebook Link Share
An Example Facebook Video Share
An Example Google+ Link Share
An Example Google+ Video Share
An Example Google Search Result showing Author Profile Info
An Example LinkedIn Share
An Example Pinterest Image Pin
An Example Pinterest Product Pin
An Example Pinterest Product Pin (Zoomed)
An Example StumbleUpon Share
An Example Tumblr 'Link' Share
An Example Tumblr 'Photo' Share
An Example Tumblr 'Video' Share
An Example Twitter 'Summary' Card
An Example Twitter 'Large Image Summary' Card
An Example Twitter 'Photo' Card
An Example Twitter 'Gallery' Card
An Example Twitter 'Product' Card
- New Features
- Added a new 'Report Cache Purge Count' option on the Advanced settings page (enabled by default).
- Fixed a return value when URL shortening fails (should have been false instead of an empty string).
- Removed auto-appending the parent title to the post title if no SEO plugin is detected.
- Added a fallback for all custom title and description values to the Open Graph title and description.
- New Features
- Added a 'Social Preview' tab to the Social Settings metabox.
- Added a NgfbHead::get_post_info() method to get basic information about the Post from the meta tag array.
- Fixed possible missing space characters in title values by escaping special separator values.
- Fixed the missing default Google+ / Schema Description value on user profile pages.
- Added a new 'Use Filtered (SEO) Titles' option (checked by default).
- Added a new 'Image URL Custom Field' option with a default value of '_image_url'.
- Added a new 'Video Embed HTML Custom Field' option with a default value of '_video_embed'.
- Changed the 'Video URL Custom Field' default value from '_format_video_embed' to '_video_url'.
- Added a new 'Video Embed HTML' option to the admin Social Settings metabox.
- Added a new 'ngfb_add_metabox_postmeta' filter to enable / disable the admin Social Settings metabox for specific post IDs.
- Added a new 'ngfb_add_metabox_usermeta' filter to enable / disable the admin Social Settings metabox for specific user IDs.
- Added a new 'NGFB_META_SAVE_PRIORITY' constant (with a default value of 20).
- Fixed the return of individual sharing URLs for BuddyPress activities within an activity loop (Pro version).
- Fixed a check for the admin $post->filter attribute value (which is unreliable) for the $post->post_status value instead.
- Fixed the action hook return value for post meta and user
save_options()methods (Pro version).
- Added the source_id argument to the SucomWebpage class
get_description()methods (and their filters).
- Updated the Twitter, Tumblr, Pinterest sharing buttons code to include the source_id argument when calling these methods.
- Changed the 'xmlns:og="http://ogp.me/ns#" xmlns:fb="http://ogp.me/ns/fb#"' DOCTYPE attribute to 'prefix="og: http://ogp.me/ns# fb: http://www.facebook.com/2008/fbml"' for HTML5 compliance.
- Modified the 'ngfb_title_seed' and 'ngfb_description_seed' filter arguments (note: the $use_cache and $encode filter arguments have been removed).
- Changed the BuddyPress description filter hook from 'ngfb_description_seed' to 'ngfb_content_seed' in order to provide image and video information.
- Added the source_id argument to the SucomWebpage class
Frequently Asked Questions
- Can I use the Pro version on multiple websites?
- Does LinkedIn read the Open Graph meta tags?
- Doesn’t an SEO plugin cover that?
- How can I exclude / ignore certain parts of the content text?
- How can I see what Facebook sees?
- How can I share a single NextGEN Gallery image?
- How do I attach an image without showing it on the webpage?
- How do I install the Pro version?
- How does NGFB find / detect / select images?
- Social Sharing Buttons
- Can I share a single image on a webpage?
- Can I use other social sharing buttons?
- How do I turn on Social Sharing Buttons for a page?
- Why are the buttons showing the wrong language?
- Why does the Facebook “Like” button flyout get clipped?
- Why doesn’t the Pinterest button show?
- Why doesn’t the Twitter count increase?
- W3C says “there is no attribute ‘property’”
- What about Google Search and Google Plus?
- What features of NextGEN Gallery are supported?
- What is the difference between the Free and Pro versions?
- Why aren’t Pins from my website posting Rich?
- Why do my Facebook shares have small images?
- Why does Facebook play videos instead of linking them?
- Why does Google Structured Data Testing Tool show errors?
- Why does the plugin ignore some <img/> HTML tags?
- Why doesn’t Facebook show the correct image?
- Why don’t my Twitter Cards show on Twitter?
- Why is the Open Graph title the same for every webpage?
- Why is the page blank or its components misaligned?
- About Pro Addons
- Contact Information and Feeds
- Debugging and Problem Solving
- Developer Resources
- Inline Variables
- Multisite / Network Support
- NGFB Shortcode
- Performance Tuning
- Styling Social Buttons
- Working with Image Attachments